“MLA’s Outsourced CEO Services – Stabilize, Strengthen, and Empower your Organization Immediately–and with Flexibility!”
Significant transitions in businesses and non-profit organizations can occur suddenly and often create immediate leadership needs at the CEO or Executive Director level. MLA can provide a seasoned professional who can immediately bring stability, steady leadership, and the skills that are necessary during a period of transition–without the need for a long-term commitment.
Perhaps you are facing a recent, planned, or unexpected departure of a President, CEO, or Executive Director. Or, your organization is experiencing significant operational, financial, or other performance issues. Either way, MLA can be your navigator–and your partner.
As a steady, capable hand whose primary purpose is to bring improvement by steering the ship carefully but decisively, a Transitional CEO applies MLA Business Redeemed™ principles to review core business processes, identify key challenges, and as the leader of your team, drive the effort to ensure that you are accomplishing key benchmarks.
This role is designed to make an immediate impact and effectively set the table for a permanent hire or other transitional process. But in addition to numbers, coaching, mentoring, developing, and empowering key team members are also essential as you and the CEO partner throughout this process. If the next step is a permanent hire, the Transitional leader will work with you to facilitate a seamless change.
What to Look For in a Transitional Leader
Whether this is a CEO, President, or Executive Director role with a short-term time horizon, our executive’s DNA includes the following characteristics:
- Action-bias – you’re hiring a short-term or part-time leader not merely to participate, but also to deliver positive impact within the guidelines that you provide. A true Transitional CEO is not seeking the full-time or permanent role, and his charge is to identify immediate areas of need and be committed to creating lasting, positive impact.
- Quickly up-to-speed – you’re facing challenges and need immediate help. Our executive will quickly gain a strong, fact-based working knowledge of your market, your organization, and your team.
- Numbers-driven – because measurements are essential, he will quickly gain a financial and metrics-driven understanding of your business, and will focus the team on numbers and specific goals. He loves KPIs and will track these with the team, guide their execution, and execute the plan.
- Expert “juggler” – he understands when he fills a leadership gap on short notice, there will be “surprises” and “new priorities,” and he is comfortable with this type of environment.
- Culture-savvy – times of transition create stress and fear of the unknown across the organization, and an MLA-appointed leader will provide a focused, steady, and calming influence.
- Motivator, team-builder, and morale-booster – although the executive embraces the challenges and immediacy that are required to be successful throughout the transition, he is both a leader and a manager. He understands that his success in this engagement–and the organization’s success overall–requires an engaged, dedicated, and enthusiastic team around him. He is a coach, a mentor, and a developer of people.
- Driven to sustainable success – consistent with the Business Redeemed™ approach, the transitional CEO has an insatiable desire to leave your organization significantly stronger than when he arrived, not only financially but also culturally.
Outsourced CEO on an Interim and Fractional Basis
MLA’s outsourced CEO services are available for short periods, with lengthier engagements subject to availability. Although there are two general categories and guidelines, the following can vary based on your needs and objectives:
- Interim CEO – provides 4-5 days/week (30-45 hours/week) or a specified time period, typically a minimum of 2 months
- Fractional CEO – provides 1-2 days/week (8-15 hours/week) for a specified time period, typically at least 3 months
Depending on engagement specifics, the Interim or Fractional CEO can be onsite, remote, or hybrid.
Contact us to learn more.